While a recession may not be the best time to sell your home, it might just be the best time for remodeling projects. Not only are mortgage rates at record lows, but tax credits for energy saving remodels abound. The tricky part is figuring out which remodeling projects are going to give you the greatest return on your investment.
Remodeling Cost vs. Value Report
The annual Cost vs. Value Report from Remodeling Magazine is a general guide to specific project costs and the amount those projects should add to a home price, if the house is sold a year later. If sold more than a year later, a greater percentage of the remodeling cost should be recouped.
Ten Remodeling Projects with the Highest Return of Value
Click the link to show the basis for costs of each project.
- Deck Addition, 83.4% cost recouped
- Basement Remodel, 79.7% cost recouped
- Siding Replacement, 79.0% cost recouped
- Attic Bedroom, 78.8% cost recouped
- Window Replacement, 74.7% cost recouped
- Minor Kitchen Remodel, 74.5% cost recouped
- Major Kitchen Remodel, 71.0% cost recouped
- Bathroom Remodel, 69.8% cost recouped
- Two-Story Addition, 69.1% cost recouped
- Garage Addition, 66.0% cost recouped